Changing & Maintaining Your AC Filter
As a homeowner, changing out your ac filter is a critical part of caring for your HVAC system, as well as the health and overall comfort you experience within your home.
Air conditioning systems aren’t necessarily complicated machines, but they require some general maintenance to maintain peak performance; replacing your filter is one of the most important.
If you’re wondering if it’s time to change your AC filter or why it’s even essential to do so, keep reading!
What is an AC filter?
Your AC filter is the thin layer of filtration stationed at every intake point of your HVAC system.
AC air filters come in a wide range of fiber mesh materials and textures, all designed to trap airborne contaminants before they enter your air ducts and redisperse back through your home.
It is important to understand that air filters are not designed to last forever, and not all filtration products are created equally.
AC Air filters are rated on what is known as the MERV (minimum efficiency reporting value) scale to gauge each material’s level of filtration quality.
The MERV scale rates filtration on a level of 1-16. The higher the level on the MERV scale, the better the filter is at trapping specific particles from the air within your home.
Why Changing out Your Filter is Important
- A clogged air filter forces your HVAC system to work much harder than necessary; when this happens, your air conditioner uses a lot more energy than usual. If your AC is struggling and consuming more energy, you can expect higher utility bills as well as malfunctions resulting in costly AC repairs.
- AC filters are intended to clear your home’s air of debris, allergens, and other airborne contaminants. If your filter is clogged or not performing correctly, your home’s air quality can quickly deteriorate, causing possible discomfort and even illness.
- When your HVAC system has restricted airflow due to a clogged filter, it becomes much more challenging to circulate air throughout your home and keep you comfortable.
When to Change Your AC Filter
As you can probably tell by now, replacing your air filter regularly is critical to your comfort, health, and budget.
But how often should you replace your AC filter?
The truth is, every home’s needs for filtration are different, and depending on the type of filter you purchase for your home, you may not need to change it out as often.
A good rule of thumb is to change out your home’s air filter AT LEAST once a month to ensure your unit continues to function and perform properly.
However, some factors may require more frequent filter replacements, such as:
- If you have pets within the home.
- If you have a larger than average family living within the home.
- If you or any of your family members struggle with a delicate immune system.
- Allergy seasons, accompanied by the time of year and where you live.
If any of these examples sound familiar, be sure to have a professional HVAC technician review your heating and cooling system. An HVAC specialist can offer you expert advice on how often you’ll need to change out your ac filter for optimal performance and indoor air quality benefits.
Schedule an Expert Inspection & Maintenance Today
Now that you have a better understanding of the importance of your HVAC system’s filter make sure you take the time to learn how to care for it and get the very best out of your indoor air quality.
To have a professional technician inspect your home’s HVAC performance, call Cruz Air & Electric today at 281-446-4272. Our team will be happy to get you on the schedule!